Tuesday, June 3, 2014

International Sales

You know, I love anyone who finds my Etsy shop or PMs me to request or purchase any of my projects from me.  International orders and requests are particularly exciting because it means that someone with a different culture and nationally transmitted values still manages to adore some of my creations.  Despite all that makes us different, we are connected by a love of crafting and my creations.  Well, spread me on a cracker and call me cheesy, but it gives me the warm fuzzies. 

However, one thing that I LOATHE about international orders is shipping.  Shippings costs are a bleepity bleeping bleepity bleep (Fill in some choice words there).  What would only cost, at most, $4 to ship from here to California costs 3 times as much to ship overseas.  You'd think that someone like me would not have to deal with international sales often.  I'm small time.  BUT, I've had 4 commissions/orders in less than 2 months.  For someone small time, that's a lot.

I'm not even sure how it happened, but it did.  Although the shipping costs are downright painful, the feedback and praise I've gotten from the Britons that have choses to buy or request trades from me is encouraging.  I've been praised on construction, vision and dedication to consistent quality.  Anytime someone takes the extra effort to offer a creative and earnest critique of my work, it makes me happy.

I've recognized that people who have an eye for quality are willing to pay more for certain things, so their earnest compliments are much appreciated.  Feedback is a good self-valuation tool and has helped me improve my price-setting standards.  I could see myself continuing international sales.  Now, if only I could get enough of them regularly to make a taxable living from this, I'd be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alright Operative, leave your coded message at this drop point.