Monday, February 3, 2014

Andromeda Strain

One of my favorite colors is an always will be purple.  There is something that I find pleasant and attractive about that particular band of light wave-lengths.  Many positive energy gurus and spiritualists believe that it holds the power to unlock intelligence and energize the mind.  This method of belief goes all the way back to gemstone lore.  It's not 'New Age' it's more of 'Since Forever Age'.

Andromeda Strain was a sci-fi story, in case you missed the reference.
Honestly, I don't know about all that.  I just like the color..  Speaking of the color.  I didn't make the beaded chain you see here. I bought some of the very prefabricated stuff I ranted about and accused of making the crafting less like crafting.  You needn't be alarmed, though.  I don't take and use most crafting supplies in the form they are given, especially not something I could have made myself.  I have to differentiate it.

I started by measuring the chain, then cut it up.  I wanted the point where the drop that forms the Y to have even weight distribution.  This required shifting the beads around and altering the pattern in the chain.  After that, the chain was asymmetrical; I kind of liked that, so I played with it to get the balance right.  Balanced the weight on both sides of a necklace is what helps the elements stay perfectly in place.  


The iridescent drops magnify the depth of the pendant.


Once my mischief with the chain was managed, I pecked through my stash to find some swarovski crystals that would match the ones already worked into the beaded chain.  I was not disappointed and I was very happy to have gotten rid of some more iridescent purple beads.  They were leftover from something else, but there weren't enough to make an entirely new piece of jewelry.  I used them to increase the drama around the focal, which came out nicely.

Well, I might use beaded chain again if I have opportunity to work it into something like this.  It DOES help save time and my wrist.  I've gotten carpal tunnel wire-wrapping seed pearls for an accent on a necklace before.  It was monstrous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alright Operative, leave your coded message at this drop point.