Monday, February 11, 2013

Ode to a Lady: Indeed

I have made another hat, this time a bit more grand.  It's a red hat, after all.  Red hats have to be dolled up and pampered.    I began by adding a bit of lace cording to the band of the hat.

I know you can see the fluff peeking out the back. 

Indeed.
I chose to expand on mother's idea of adding netting and tulle.  While I'm not a huge fan of the stuff, it does give a nice effect and looks quite flashy when you...pleat and trim it like so.  Rather than giving unstructured body, it gives body, shading, tone and drama to what would otherwise be a plain hat with some simple embellishments on it. 

As I was preparing to put the hat together, I decided that some feathers were a must.  A bright red hat with some netting isn't very stylish. 

Hat and Design element facing forward
I tried turning the hat in a variety of directions in order to get a feel for how versatile it is stylistically.  A hat with a fancy doodad is great, but I've seen too many of them in stores that you can only wear a certain way.  I wanted to make sure that it would look good no matter how I chose to rotate it. 

Embellishments on the side with the fringe of netting hanging over the face...

Embellishments facing the back of the head
I'd say I was successful.  I like the effect of the paper flowers and rhinestones against the bright red and black iridescence of the feathers. 

3 comments:

  1. Funny how mothers are usually right!! ;)
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! Mom is right about loads of stuff. It's just a matter of learning to listen. lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Rhonda. I need all the help I can get. Tee Hee.

      Delete

Alright Operative, leave your coded message at this drop point.