Thursday, January 17, 2013

Heaven's to Betsey!

Do you like Betsey Johnson?  She used to design patterns for the Vogue Pattern company.  Now her name's featured on a line of ultra-bright, eclectic and glam-heavy high-end fashion including fragrances, jewelry and clothing.  Her fashion line always features the hottest colors of the season in some really interesting designs.
Photo Courtesy of davidlpm021 on Ebay
Courtesy of Google search
Courtesy of Google Search


Since I like eclectic jewelry and eye-catching statement pieces, I've always admired the construction and designs of many of her collections.  Working at Carson's jewelry counter over the holidays gave me a first hand look at Betsey's stuff.  I got to handle what I, previously, could only ogle online.  Unlike most costume jewelry, Betsey's stuff is well-made, durable and features high-quality materials for extended wearing.
Photo Courtesy of ebay

The only thing that stopped me from buying any of her costume jewelry was the price tag.  On average, a pair of 'simple' (really, Betsey Johnson has no concept of simple in her jewelry designs) earrings would cost $35-40 dollars. Can you say, sticker shock?   A little problematic if you're on a tight budget.  Little did I know, I could find the discontinued styles online at discounted prices on eBay.   A $60 bracelet, can be acquired for a sixth of the price thanks to stores clearing out leftover stock. 
But even better is the ability to Do It Yourself.  There were elements to all of Betsey Johnson's pieces that I enjoyed, but also plenty that I despised.  There is such a thing as 'too much of a good thing'.

Case in point
With the abundance of quirky jewelry making elements, I can make my OWN Betsey Johnson style jewelry.  And so I went on a hunt for elements I could use to make my own Betsey Earrings.  After a little work and a lot of tweaking, I got it to work for me.

Simple Pink Polka Dots
Black and White Polka Dots
Gray Plaid with Bows

Pink Plaid with Bows
I started small because I just wanted to try it out, but I'm fairly certain that I will experiment with adding more elements to my jewelry works in the future.  It was an enlightening experience.  Now I'm looking to expose some of my necklaces to the same treatment...but I'm sure I'll need to purchase more stuff...a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alright Operative, leave your coded message at this drop point.