Wednesday, January 30, 2013

To Infinity and Beyond: Tutorial!

Infinity scarves are awesome, right? On average, a good infinity scarf can cost between 15-40 dollars.  Depending on the materials and where you look they can cost even more.  Some of them cost over $300 dollars!  If you don't believe me, check out the Diane von Furstenberg website and don't forget to catch your chin before it hits the desk.  Infinity scarfs are incredible, versatile little accessories.  Of course, they cost a lot of money.  They must be hard to make.

Well, there's a trick in there.  They actually aren't hard to make.  To me, the real value of the infinity scarf is in the materials that comprises it.  Since it's so simple, I figured it out on my own.  To be sure, my mom and I both had been looking for an easy project to get rid of scraps.  Every sewer LOVES to get rid of scraps.
Like many sewers, I like good knit fabric with rich colors and simple, but bold patterns.  It's great for making tops, arm warmers, and the like.  However, I locate my best materials in the remnant room.  All coiled up, a remnant of fabric can look like much more than it is.  And when you get it home, it's stained, there was a glitch in the pattern, or it's torn in an odd place.  So, in effect, you've got a nice knit fabric that will either lead to a very long game of sewing table Tetris or a big pile of disappointingly large scraps.
 I don't sew that much and I have a ridiculous stash already.  I needed to make use of my scraps and pieces of fabric that are just big enough to get you into trouble.  Turning it into a collection of infinity scarves was the best solution. 
Here are the steps I followed to turn my fabric into something worth while.

Step 1: Cut and Measure
You need to decide how long and how wide you want your scarf.  The trick I used to determine a regular length for my scarves follows the rules of necklace length.  There are 6 main necklace lengths.
Borrowed from Jewellerygem.com

When applied to an infinity scarf it can change the way you wear it and increase its versatility.  I chose to have my Infinity Scarves fall at about 40- 45 inches.  There were two reasons I chose this length.  1.  It gives you enough room to loop it around a few times and use it as a cowl if it gets blustery.  2. It's a common fabric width, enabling you to reduce raveling as you handle the ends of it because the very end of the fabric is actually the selvage.
I made my scarf widths between 8 and 12 inches.  Some of the materials I used were on the thick side and it wouldn't be a good idea to make the scarves wider because the end result would probably accidentally choke someone.  Save the wider scarf widths for thinner materials. 

Step 2: Stitch, Turn, Stitch
This is the easy part.  Fold the fabric lengthwise, with the 'good side' facing inward.  Stitch one seam down the cut ends of the fabric.  I used a serger because the fabric I used were fuzzy and needed to be contained. 
Next, Turn the scarf right side out, so your seam allowance isn't visible.
Finally, pin the seams together so you can start sewing the two ends of the scarf together without twisting it up.  Sew the ends together so that the seam allowances will be inside the scarf.  Since your scarf currently forms a little cylinder, you can't just sew straight across or sew it completely closed.  Leave about 2 inches open.

Step 3: Blind stitch
Finally, I close up my infinity scarf by blind stitching that hole closed.  It doesn't take long, about 5 minutes including needle threading time.  Once it's done, you've got a nice infinity scarf to go flouncing around in.  Easy huh?

 For those of you who are more kinetically inclined, check out this gal's sweet youtube video.

I was surprised how much her tutorial matched my method.   I am glad I found it though.

Finally!  My next post will include my infinity scarf creations!  

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial on making an infinity scarf! Even though I sew, I had never made one. This tute comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete

Alright Operative, leave your coded message at this drop point.